Saturday, August 30, 2008

Using a new Poker Calculator for Omaha

As you can see, here, I limped in with what Omaha indicator calls a premium hand, with 27 Hutchison points. The reason why this is not a top 10 hand is because of that eight being a suit of its own, and really offering no strength at all for the low or a possible straight. So in this hand, I leave you really playing for the nut low, because I have two of the deuces, seriously reducing the likeliness of another player at the table also holding Ace deuce. So in that case, again, there's absolutely no reason to raise as you really want as many people in the pot with a hand like this as you can muster.

The flop is somewhat reasonable for me, although there are no diamonds I only need one card for the low end and as you can see in Omaha odds calculator indicator I have 20 low outs. One player bets 90, I call, one player folds, and another calls, making the pot 435 with three players left in the pot.

The turn brings to three of clubs, which gives me the nut low and a reasonable expectation that I will not be sharing it. When you are in the spotlight this against two opponents holding the nut low, you do not want to be pushing either of your opponents out of the pot, because they are likely splitting the high or at the least fighting for it. So to have them both continue contributing to the pot is your main objective, which is the only reason I simply called phantoms that of 360 chips. Unfortunately cubsfan did fold, leaving a pot of 1155 chips, for me and Phantom to fight over.

The river brings a jack of hearts filling out a flush and a possible straight. Phantom checks to me and I checked down as well. There are a lot of players here who would bet in my position, simply because they have the nut low and feel they have nothing to lose by adding more of the pot. That is a huge mistake in this situation because as you can see, I have no chance of winning the high side of this pot, and Phantom could possibly have a share in the low side of this pot, and me betting out here might just result in a reraise, so there is absolutely no point in adding to the pot at this stage.

As it turns out he was afraid of the flush as well, but his set of nines easily took the high side, and he wisely checked it to me after the river which critically devalued his high hand.

No comments: