Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Controversial hand in tournament play.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2581482

I felt the re-raise from the button was weak, but I don't get why this guy is calling with 56 suited, his looking at a raise, a re-raise and an all in. how can 56 suited possibly look like a decent hand here?

was pushing the right move here? I'm definitely not folding here and I don't really like calling because chances are I'm going to miss the flop and someone is going to stab it.

______________________________________________________

Well pushing AK as a yellow MZone could be a viable play especially if you know who you are pushing into, but it is an aggressive strategy to be sure and you are letting the community cards decide the outcome.

AJ was a bigger mistake to me than the 56s but all three of you were playing the clock. I noticed the blind levels put you imminently close to the first break which is kind of turning point in tournaments for those with the attitude of getting big or getting out. They are abundant in a 5 buck tournament. Gridline seems to be resigned to letting it ride in a big pot, and if he actually did analyze that you two were playing off each other, he stands a good chance of winning... even odds probably!

I am not saying it was a good move no, but once he started calling out of position, I could just hear him saying oh what the fck... I gotta go to sleep anyhow.

As a short stack (none of you were really short though) I would have been in this pot with connectors if my poker odds and position were wonderful using critical analysis, not impatience at getting to bed. So it may be easy to discard what appears to be a weak hand, but sometimes that kind of play is actually a result of a little experience as well.

It is a wonderful thing these low limit buy-ins, and although you let it ride with a strong hand - you still let it ride. You would have lost with AA here too, but shoving it ahead on a GCI hand is where your strategy, not theirs, needs further comprehension.

his is one of those hands where you cannot be faulted, but neither applauded. In that sense I am really not saying you were right or wrong, as I am sure on many occasions I would have done the same thing... but not always.

I think the bigger question is here, why are you asking? I do not mean that in a sarcastic way either, but more were you able to comprehend all of the dynamics that went into the hand AND are you good with it?

As I referred to above, some of your opponents (many actually) are not playing optimally and your reraise/shove commits 2 opponents to the hand at a GCI moment.

Do you really understand that you were shoving into a spot where you were likely behind a pocket pair?

Were you aware of the break/blinds and the effect they have on other yellow/orange stacks?

Did you KNOW both of your opponents?

Did you consider your bankroll and payout structure?

Just some things that may make you think... maybe not.

Another point I might offer is that getting it all in with the best - preflop - is only justification for certain scenarios. I think a lot of players walk away busted from the table deceiving themselves they played great, or at least better than their opponents because they were ahead when all the chips went in.

Now change this hand into another tournament dynamic in that you paid a much larger buy-in like $100, $200 or $1,000 even. Would you be so fast to to make this a GCI hand and say you did the right thing? I am not sure, but you should be. Certainly then, there is reason to contemplate a call, then fold to flop pressure.

Coop replied: I don't think your bankroll should play a role in this decision. First because you should have at least 50 buy-ins for any MTT you play (though 100 is much better and safer) so losing the buy-in will not hurt you, and second because you are still pretty far away from the money. Until then you will have to double up some times and much better opportunities don't come around that often!

You are actually making the case FOR a bankroll decision here Coop, which when building should NEVER be ignored. If he is playing with a good sized roll, then its probably an easier decision to push, if he isnt, he should be thinking how likely it is he can make the money by folding.

I get the impression that he is NOT playing with a bulging bankroll, and you cant just lay that 50 or 100 buy-ins on everyone who plays poker because in a 5 buck tournament, the MAJORITY of players are actually playing over their head if you go by that rule Coop. Not everyone enjoys a bountiful bankroll sir and your book may be right for you, but not others plugging away at the 5 buckers, with 60 bucks in their account!

I also feel thats the real reason why this hand showed up here, and it is one of those defining guidelines about learning the game and making the money and building your poker bankroll tight-ass style, rather than looking for small edges to toss it all in the middle. That in my opinion, is a negative recipe for a growing skill-set.

I think this hand has a lot more to do with his personal comfort level at being this aggressive at this stage. I think there is reason to support a call, OR raise OR fold play here, where other factors, rather than hand strength are more important than most would realize.

I would have likely done the same thing most times, strictly as a result of having no bankroll concern whatsoever, but I dont see this hand a right or wrong play - definitively.

No comments: